Monday, June 24, 2013

Morocco 2

Two days ago my host family had a family party. They call it 40 memories, which is celebrated 40 days after a loved one dies. In this case it was my host familie's grandfather. I assumed that there would be maybe 50 people and that it would be a small dinner with some talk of the grandfather. I could not have assumed so incorrectly. There were 140 relatives there and it lasted 5 hours, until 1 am. the event took place outside my host uncle's huge villa. There were wait staff, large tables for everyone, bright colored traditional clothing, and tons of people! I got to wear a head scarf and traditional Moroccan clothing and got to talk in dariga to the family. There were men singing and tons of food. The next day I went back to the dame house and got to see it for what it really is. It was bigger than I had thought. Originally it was large, but after seeing it during the day, the house was the most beautiful home I had ever seen. The yard was huge with a swimming pool next to a gazebo, many sitting areas, and unlimited possibilities. We went over with a cousin, brother, sister, and the other american student staying with us and went swimming. It felt wonderful to get out of the conservative clothing and to wear a bikini again. It felt even better lying out tanning with everyone, watching the palm trees swaying back and forth and laughing. My host family loves pictures so my sister took many of us around the pool. I could not imagine a better time.

No comments:

Post a Comment